CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, May 29, 2009

Brave

I suppose bravery can be defined in a lot of different ways. Under my definition, I think I was pretty brave when I visited my dad's grave this Memorial Day. It was my first Memorial Day visit. Each year, Craig diligently takes our kids to pay respects to my dad while I make up a reason why I can't go. It is a beautiful place to visit. My dad has missed a lot of things I would have liked him to see. He's missed home runs, brain tumors, school programs, school honors, dance recitals, touchdowns, baptisms, ordinations, birthdays. . . a long list if I include everything. But, it's time for me to come around a little more I suppose. After we spent a fun Memorial Day at the cabin, the five of us (me, Evan, Caroline, Sam & Isaac--Craig and Jake were at Jake's baseball game) spent a few minutes at the cemetary. I'm glad I went.

4 comments:

Karyn Parry said...

Becky, I can only imagine how difficult that was for you. I think BRAVE was a good word for the title of your post. I know it has been very hard for you without your dad. He was a great man. I know he would have liked to share every special moment here on earth with you. Sometimes life just doesn't work out the way any of us expect it to. Remember you are loved and appreciated. What a step! Good for you.

I want you to know it has been fun for me to watch you with your kids. You are a wonderful mother! You find great joy and satisfaction in them - even when they are a bunch of rugrats. :) Thanks for sharing.

Claudine Cable said...

Becky, I am so proud of you for having the courage to visit your father's grave. I know how hard it has been for you and I admire your taking this step. It shoud now be easier to visit in the future.

Celeste said...

K, i totally thought this was going to be a bountiful braves post & almost just glossed over it! (haha, like I'd ever do that!)
I'm proud of you, I know it's been tough. I've always been kinda grateful that Matt had a different girlfriend at that time, because I don't think I would be very good at knowing what to do or say. Everyone deals with death soooo differently. You do it however the heck feels good for you, and I know you have, so good job.

Heather Parry said...

Good for you for making over there this year. Brave indeed.

I have a question though. Are those pennies on his grave marker? I don't get it.