CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 4, 2009

Disenchanted

So. Ever since we moved back to the Salt Lake City area after Craig finished law school, I have been sure that my kids would go to Bountiful High. I knew that they would thrive and survive and accomplish and excel. Some of this has happened. For the most part, they are each happy to be a Brave in some way. Academics are pretty good. Grades are inflated, but look good on report cards. Friends are loyal and loving and plentiful. Bountiful is a happy place to live.

Sports. I was never an athlete. Ever. But when I saw that my kids were talented (thanks to their father) I knew that they would work and work and then when they got to high school, it would be a culmination of all that hard work. After nearly three years of parenting athletes at the high school, I have become completely disenchanted. That's not to say that wonderful things haven't been accomplished and that there haven't been amazing moments. Towering home runs. Amazing tackles. Touchdowns. But for me, there isn't one single completely positive experience. I often feel anguish. And I don't see improvement in the future. There isn't one single sporting situation there that has lived up to my expectations.

So. Move? Accept? Grow? I don't know, but status quo isn't working for me.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

K fer one, you can't move. Your house is the shish. Plus, half the polys in bountiful would starve to death. You want that on your head? Life outside the Golden Circle (2 mile radius of the mother ship) has it's ups & downs. One of the ups being that the incidence of any familial "drop-ins" is lowered. (this includes my family as well).
I don't have kids subjected to the public school system, but my first instinct is to say that life also is full of disenchantment. Most of my favorite moments have some kind of dark lining. No situation is going to be perfect. But I'm sure it sucks beyond words to have to see your kids in less than stellar circumstances. Although you have to judge it by it's fruits. Your kids are (to an extent) a product of where they grow up, and they are amazing, thoughtful, kind, successful kids, each one. I'd try to accept.
Love ya

Celeste said...

Wow that was much longer than I intended