CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, February 9, 2012

More Meds

Today we went to a long awaited doctor appointment with Dr. Broadbent.  Isaac's last blood tests showed his allergy scores related to shellfish had gotten a little better.  He really misses shrimp and salmon.  He's never really had nuts so he doesn't miss them, but the fish allergy was a later onset and he enjoyed eating it before it was taken away.  Today we did some skin testing to see if the blood tests were right.  Isaac was tested for lobster, crab, salmon and shrimp--he was most interested in the salmon and shrimp.  His salmon tests was good enough that Dr. Broadbent said we could have a food challenge in her office.  In a food challenge, Isaac gets to eat the designated food at Dr. Broadbent's office and then she observes him over a period of time.  If he doesn't have a reaction, we can reintroduce the food.  Unfortunately, his lungs aren't healthy enough to challenge right now, but maybe in a few weeks.  He also had a breathing test yesterday and when I asked the nurse how it went she said she thought it was pretty bad, but Dr. Broadbent said it was "a good test for Isaac".   I guess that shows how low our expectations should be.  Dr. Broadbent said she would consider a shrimp challenge down the road, but it would have to be given at Primary Children's Hospital.

Because his lungs were so bad, Isaac was started on another daily maintenance medication, bringing the total to five--a little bit discouraging.  I thought overall the appointment was pretty positive, but Isaac left in tears.  I guess the shrimp was bringing him down. 

He's a tough kid!

Sam had a great church game tonight.  Fun to watch.  We are still undefeated.

I went to bed in tears because my food pain has gotten so bad.  It's so discouraging.  I want to exercise and be active, but my heel hurts all the time.  I have a doctor appointment tomorrow though.  Hopefully I'll learn something that will help.

1 comments:

Erin Blake said...

ok I just need to talk on the phone with you. Foot pain, Isaac sick, what is Jake doing for college?