CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 26, 2012

Free Ride

I went to an afternoon movie with my friend today.  Other than being freezing and having to wear my scarf around my ears, it was a great time.  The movie was sad, but we expected that.  I quite liked it:  Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close

Caroline had her allergy shot today and an hour later broke out into hives everywhere.  Then her lips got a little bit swollen and her throat and chest were tight.  I immediately went into "anaphylactic shock" mode.  I've had lots of practice with this!  As I called 911, I gave her a shot of epi in her thigh.  Then we were off on our "free ride" to the hospital.  Acutally it probably wasn't free.  Here's my view of the ambulance:

When we got to Primary Children's, we were shown to the Resuscitation Room.  By then, the crisis was really over and Caroline was breathing fine.  The ER Chief told me I did everything exactly right.  I even threw some sweats and my iPad into my purse, so I was ultra prepared.
Unfortunately, though, we had to spend the night in the Rapid Treatment Unit.  It's hard to sleep in a hospital.  I heard Caroline's machines beeping all night long. 
Isaac was the most interested in the whole event since he's very experienced at this.  He was on his way home from skiing when she got sick, so he called later and asked for a description of all of Caroline's symptoms, then he compared what usually happens to him.  It was funny.

0 comments: